‘A Change is Gonna Come’. Well it did, and now it’s here. Only, this new change is about the new standards and regulations for self-mailers.
Two reasons for this change:
- It will reduce damage to mail
- Reduce jamming of sorting equipment
There are envelopes, and then there are folded pieces of mail, which are the size of a normal letter, but with no binding.
These new regulations go into detail about tri-fold mailers and quarter-fold mailers, as well as many other options for mailing materials. A couple differences include simple things such as:
- No tabs placed on the bottom of the mailers
- Self-mailers now need two tabs
- The mail piece is to be folded bottom-to-top
- The address must be on the middle panel of the mailer
- Etc. (A link to all the details will be at the bottom!)
As for the exceptionally specific details about the new self-mailer regulations, here’s the revised standards pdf: